Sunday, January 26, 2014

Going God’s Second Mile

Notice the Aquilifier and the Eagle Emblem leading the unit
Sermon 3 in Loving Our Enemies:  Jesus’ Third Way Series
January 26, 2014

            Today – we come to third illustration Jesus uses to show us now to love our enemies.  Jesus commands us:    If anybody forces you to go a mile with him, do more—go two miles with him.
            Let  me once again invite you to use your imagination – to allow place yourself in the Galilee of Palestine under  Roman occupation in the First Century. 
            Imagine that I am a carpenter in a small village on the road from the Caesaria, Roman capital of Palestine, and Tiberias, the provincial capital, on the Sea of Galilee.  One day I have my tools and equipment outside a home beside the road.  I have bartered building a table for the family for a portion for a week’s worth of oil for the lamps in my home.  On this fine afternoon, just before lunch, I am trying to complete the leg of this chair when I hear a commotion coming down the road from the Sea.  I see the dust cloud coming through town before I see them – a column of Roman soldiers.
            It’s a contubernia, the smallest of the Roman military units with only 8 soldiers, headed to join their cohort in Tiberias.  The men look massive and foreign in their battle dress of armor, helmet, and dagger.  At the front of the line marches the aquilifer – the standard bearer carrying the Roman military’s emblem – a golden eagle a top a tall pole.  The men look menacing and hard like they have faced death and survived.  I grit my teeth and back towards the house as they near me. 
            Behind the column I see 8 peasants and farmers sweating profusely as they struggle with heavy packs.  They barely keep pace under the blazing sun and the fast pace of the aquilifer.  The men are shabbily dressed – having been picked from the side of the road – by the soldiers in the column.   The Roman practice of Angareia has been a scourge to the men of my town.  The Romans allow a soldier to conscript a peasant in service to carry a military pack for a mile.   Because our town sits on a heavily traveled road with many Romans soldiers – most of us have been had to pay this debt to the Roman occupation – except me. 
            The men carrying the packs today look like pack mules there is so much equipment to carry.  It’s no wonder everyone in town associates the soldiers and the roman military with arrogance and injustice.  The closer the cloud of dust moves, the angrier I become.  Hot hatred boils up inside me. 
            I watch the golden eagle past and pray to Elohim that I will survive their intrusion.  Then, just in front of me, one of the men in the back collapse under the weight of the pack.  I don’t know if it’s been a mile or not – but his day is done. 
The rest of the column continues forward as a single soldier pulls out of formation to retrieve his pack from the collapsed man’s back.  He looks angry and violently pulls the pack up and leaves the lump of a man silently on the ground. 
            The soldier begins looking around and I belatedly realize what he is doing.  He is looking for a replacement, a new conscript.  He is looking at me.  He calls me forward in broken Aramaic.
            “You!  Carry!” 
            I quickly understand and respond with haste.  I walk to the road, keeping my anger and my face to the ground.  The soldier pulls the pack into the air and drops it on my back.  [Put pack on]
            I start walking.  I look back at the almost completed chair.  I suddenly realized this day will be wasted – and I have no lunch.  After my mile walk, there will be another one back. 
With frustration and bitterness I keep walking.  My head held down; my thoughts boiling. I suddenly realize the pack is heavier than I expected.  I try to keep up.  The soldier stays out of formation walking just ahead of me.  As I watch him from the rear – his roman sandals, his armor, his weapons – he becomes the focus of all of my frustrations and fears and anger at the Roman occupation.  He is the enemy of my people.  He would rather kill me than save me.  He is a pagan on God’s land – desecrating us just by his presence. 
As we walk step after step, I begin imaging what I will do when my mile is complete.  I could throw down the pack, run towards home and then stop just out of range of the soldier’s weapons.  I could pick up stones, throw them at him and shout, “Get out of my country, you stinking, Roman dog!  May the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob destroy you!   This is Yahweh’s land!”  I’m sure I could out run him if he followed me.  I let this thought simmer and stew for a few dozen steps.  I begin to smile.
My mind drifts even farther and I imagine I am Jacob the Zealot in town who keeps a curved dagger strapped to the inside of his inner thigh at all times, just hoping for a moment like this.  I imagine pulling the dagger out at the just the right moment and attacking the soldier just between his armored plates.  I might not make it back home, but it would be a small win in our fight against this imperial enemy.  I feel my inner thigh hoping I might find one. 
I scare myself with these thoughts of violence.  Really, neither of these options are me.  I resign myself to the fact that I am not a fighter – I’m a carpenter.  I live to care for my family.  No, I’m no zealot – I will simply walk home to finish my work tomorrow.  No one would think less of me.  Most of us endure this shame with our heads hung down.  What more can we really do if we want to survive. 
            The pack has only gotten heavier as we approach the next village.  It’s been more than a mile now, I know.  I start getting ready to throw the pack to the ground, when Elohim brings a new vision into my head.  It’s the teaching of Jesus, the rabbi on the mountain.  Many of us have been going out to hear him.  His teachings have changed us in the face of our adversaries.  Suddenly, I hear his voice in my head like a vision from God:  “If anybody forces you to go a mile with him, do more—go two miles with him. Give to the man who asks anything from you, and don’t turn away from the man who wants to borrow.”
            Without a second thought, a new energy roars into my lifeless legs and empty stomach.  I march quickly up to the soldier who is hot and tired just like me.  I motion to him and try to get him to understand. 
            “Thank you for this opportunity to carry your pack,” I say.  “For the sake of Yahweh, I will carry the pack 1 more mile to the outskirts of Tiberias.”
            The soldier looks confused.  The rest of the soldiers in the column are conscripting other peasants from their jobs for the final walk to town.  I keep walking, stronger and bolder than before.  The soldier jogs to keep up with me.  He realizes suddenly that I am about to carry his pack another mile.  The first mile belonged to the Empire of Rome, my oppressor, to this soldier.  The second mile belongs to the Empire of God, to the peasant, to me.  This mile I freely give as a gift because of all that God has given me – This is God’s mile! 
            I look over at the soldier.  He stares at me in disbelief.  I can see him running through scenarios trying to make sense of what is happening.  Suddenly, I realize that he is no long in front of me.  We are walking side by side as equals.  God’s mile has already changed the dynamic.  I look around at the other men who are being conscripted and realize too  - there is one man who will not be chosen in this village.  My mile has relieved someone of this burden as well. 
            As we walk side by side, the soldier’s face no longer looks harden – instead I see the sadness and loneliness of being so far from home, stationed in a far off, foreign land.  I am just as foreign to him as he is to me. 
            I attempt a conversation.  My voice is stronger than expected – especially with the weight on my back. 
            “How long have you been stationed in Palestine?” He seems to understand.
            “Three years,” he motions with his three fingers. 
            “Tell me about your family,” I ask.
            “1 wife and three children,” I understand as he motions with his hands the heights of his kids. 
            “When did you last see them?”
            “3 years,” he motions, and then he holds up 2 more – 2 more years of service before he returns home.  5 years away. 
            The anger drains out of me.  This enemy is more like me than I ever imagined.  I find myself hurting for him. 
            I ask, “Do you get much home cooking.”  I have to pantomime for him to understand. 
            He shakes his head no. 
            Without thinking of the consequences, the laws against such things – I suddenly blurt out like a fool who is changing from the inside out, “then, you must stop at my home on your way back to Caeasaria. My wife, Mary, is a wonderful cook.”
            He understands and I finally see him smile.  He looks at me differently.  I am no longer a Jewish dog to be conscripted into service.  I am a man who could be his friend.  Carrying his pack a second mile has broken down the religious and social barriers that kept us enemies.  It has offered us both a new future – one built on mutual respect.  All of this has happened because of Jesus.  Without thinking about it, I begin to tell him more about this rabbi, the one some call the Messiah, Jesus.  A new day has dawned. 
[Place pack down]
Here is the Gospel for us today:  Loving our enemies invites us to share the Gospel through unexpected, grace filled encounters of service

Implications
            On Friday, Sarah and I went skiing together in North Carolina – and yes, I will owe her a $1 for this story.  The entire trip to Maggie Valley and back Sarah served as my personal DJ.  She chose song after song telling me the story of each and why she loved it. 
            I learned that one of her favorite songs is as song called Jesus, Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowds.  I was struck by her favorite line in the song because it represents this Good News of going the second mile and living by the Third Way of Jesus:  “Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded, What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did”
Jesus tells us to love our enemies because he already loves them.  The ultimate purpose behind his command to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us is that they may discover and respond to the love of Jesus just like you and me.  Jesus wants our enemies to become our brothers and sisters.  Jesus wants the people we disagree with, the people we can’t stand to be around, the people who have opposite political beliefs, the people who say they would never come to our church, the people who we never want to see in church – Jesus wants these vile, unfriendly people to become our brothers and sisters. 
In v.46, Jesus says – that God “makes the sun to rise upon evil men as well as good, and he sends his rain upon honest and dishonest men alike.” Why is this - Because both the evil and the good are his children.  He loves our enemies as much as he loves us – “while we were both still sinners, Jesus died for us,” Paul tells us in Romans.  Loving enemies is just one of the ways Jesus draws all into his life.  When we love our enemies with unexpected, grace filled encounters of service, we are inviting them to receive the grace and freedom and joy that come from a life with Jesus. 
            We are God’s vehicles for sharing HIS amazing, wild, unconditional love. 
            No one will ever experience this amazing love through our hatred or our fear or our anger.  No one will ever know this love when we point our fingers at them.  No one will ever know this love when we are yelling at them. 
            Jesus knows, though, that our enemies will see this love when we walk an extra mile for them.  Our enemies will know God’s love when we turn the other cheek.  Our enemies will know God’s love when we stand for justice.  Our enemies will know God’s love when we live generously and practice a servant lifestyle.   Our enemies will experience God’s unconditional love demonstrated on the cross when we give unexpected, grace filled encounters of service. 
            We witnessed this during our cold weather shelter.  In what felt like a radical, challenging step of faith, we served individuals we rarely met; some of whom were in great need of unconditional love.  More than a shelter they needed someone to serve them with the grace of Jesus.   God blessed the relationships and God blessed us. 

Invitation
God calls all us of Jesus followers to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us.  When we do so – the world turns upside down and grace comes rushing down like an avalanche. 
This is the kind of love we are talking about when we say that we as a church are called to love the world as God loves.  Jesus invites us to love the world – and many times those in the world are the kind of people we call our enemies.  Our enemies are Democrats or Republicans.  Our enemies are drug users.  Our enemies are people on the other end of whatever social case we call our own.  Our enemies are from the North or from a big city or speak a different language. 
Whoever makes our enemy list – the one we would never want to invite home – Jesus says walk the first mile with them because you have too – then give them the gift of the second mile.  It’s God’s mile in the first place.  And when we do give it – When we love with unexpected, grace filled encounters of service – don’t be surprised when relationships happen.  Don’t be surprised that you might come to care for someone.  Don’t be surprised when someone shows up at our church.  Don’t be surprised when you end up calling them brother or sister and sitting down across the fellowship hall table and smiling and laughing and sharing life together.  Don’t be surprised when the enemy you love no longer becomes your enemy, but your friend. 
This is how life works in God’s upside down empire.  It’s a place where the last are first and the first are last and our enemies turn into friends.  Who is God calling you to love this week with an unexpected, grace filled encounters of service?  Let’s see what happens when we do.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment