Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Let's Start Singing

This week I posted a pastoral letter to my church. 

In the middle of the letter, I shared about the moment Lewis and Clark climbed the Rocky Mountains to the headwaters of the Missouri River expecting to find on the other side the headwaters of the Columbia River and their route to the Pacific.  Instead, rugged, snow-capped, mapless mountains stretched out before them.  

I used this moment in history as a metaphor for where we are as a church.  We have invested greatly in preparing for God's future, but the future we expect is not what we see.  Instead, we find difficult, mapless obstacles lying before us.

After Sunday's letter, I found this beautiful quote from Wendell Berry.  I want to share it because it speaks to me about where we are as a church.  

"It may be that when we no longer know what to do 
we have come to our real work,

and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.

The mind that is not baffled is not employed.
The impeded stream is the one that sings."

Where are we as a church?  This is our singing moment.  

Thanks be to God.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment